5 Spice Fried Chicken
A tasty Chinese inspired fried chicken, served with a sweet and kickin' gochujang ketchup.
Take your chicken out of the fridge half an hour
before frying. Nobody likes tough chicken, and
this lil tip will help out with that.
You can also make these in an air fryer!
LEFTOVERS!- This chicken is BANGING in a homemade sweet
and sour sauce the next day. Simply bake the
tenders in the oven for 15 minutes and add
to the sauce.
I N G R E D I E N T S
650g Chicken Mini Fillets
1cup Plain Flour
1tbs Five Spice
4tbs Tomato Ketchup
1tbs Soy Sauce
M E T H O D
- This recipe starts THE NIGHT BEFORE. Grab your chicken tenders and add them into a bowl. Cover them with the buttermilk, cover and leave to marinade overnight in the fridge.
- Now, were ready to cook. It's the next day and you're ready for some fried chicken.
- Grab yourself a bowl. Add the flour, five spice, salt and pepper. Stir to create a coating for the chicken.
- Grab yourself a heavy bottom pan and add it to a medium/high heat and fill half way with oil for frying. Once the oil reaches 180c, you're ready to fry.
- Add a chicken tender to the dry mix and make sure the chicken is covered nicely. Slowly add to the hot oil and watch it sizzle. Repeat with two or three more, depending on the size of the pan. You don't want to overgrown as this will lower the oils temperature too much. That means greasy and non crisp chicken.
- Lay out kitchen roll onto a baking tray and add the chicken in a single layer once fried.
- Once that batch is cooked (around 5-6 minutes) repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Once the chicken is fried, make the dip. Simple add the ingredients for the dip into a small bowl and whisk together.
- Serve hot and crispy!