When making bolognese, I aways have so much leftover and sometimes want something a little different from 'spag bol'. This bolognese bake is perfect. Cooked with penne pasta and topped with mozzarella it ticks all of those comfort food cravings.
Served with Aldi UK's new Black Olive Ciabatta its a satisfying and delicious weekday meal.
600g Mince Beef
2tbs Balsamic Vinegar
2 Tins Chopped Tomatoes
1 Beef Stock Cube
1 Mushroom Stock Cube
4 Garlic Cloves (Crushed)
1 Ball Mozzarella
- Over a high heat, place a large pan and fry the mince. You may do this in batches to prevent overcrowding in the pan and allow the mince to brown rather than boil.
- Once browned, remove and set to one side.
- Now lower the heat to medium and in the same pan add a splash more olive oil and cook the peppers for a few minutes. After 3/4 minutes, add the garlic.
- Add the mince back to the pan and pour in the tomatoes followed by the vinegar and stock cubes. Season with S&P. Fill the tins from the chopped tomato with water and add that to the pan too. Give it a good stir and allow to come to the boil. Once boiling, lower to a simmer and leave until the liquid has thickened.
- Once cooked, leave to one side.
- Preheat the oven to 180c/350f.
- Cook the penne pasta as instructed on the packet. I would suggest however cooking it for a couple of minutes less as it will continue to cook in the oven when baking.
- Once cooked, combine the pasta and bolognese together.
- Slice and pan fry the mushrooms and courgette.
- In an oven proof baking dish, lay the pasta bolognese and top with mushrooms and courgette.
- Slice the mozzarella and place on top and place the dish into the oven. Cook for 30 minutes or until the mozzarella is melted and browning. You could also cook it under the grill for a couple of minutes if you are feeling particularly impatient and hungry.
- Serve with bread and ENJOY!