Chickpea Coconut Curry
Healthy, filling and cheap!
1 Onion (Sliced)
3 Cloves Garlic
5cm Cube Ginger
2tsp Garam Masala
1 Can Chickpeas
1 Can Chopped Tomatoes (drained)
1 Can Coconut Milk
Squeeze of Lime
Handful of Spinach
- Start by setting a cast iron pot over a medium heat. Add a splash of oil and then the sliced onions.
- Sweat the onions until they become translucent and soft, but be careful not to burn them.
- Using a crusher, add the garlic cloves and then finely grate in the fresh ginger. Cook for a minute to release the flavours.
- Next, add the spices and stir together then drain and pour in the chickpeas.
- Open the tinned tomatoes and drain away most of the liquid (you can save this for another recipe) and add the tomato pieces to the pot. Stir together and pour over the coconut milk. Simmer for as little as 20 minutes or for as long as an hour. (I like it longer but if you are short of time, you don't have to simmer as long)
- When almost ready to serve, add a squeeze of lime and the spinach and turn off the heat but place the lid on top to help cook the spinach. After a couple of minutes its ready to serve.