I have loved scotch eggs for as long as I can remember. I love the little snack eggs with scrambled egg in the centre and the large classic ones. I am also a pretty big fan of any thing chorizo. So this is the magical time that the two loves are introduced in a fabulous deep fried way.
<5 Minutes Preparation
20 Minutes Cooking
I N G R E D I E N T S
4 Pork Sausages
80g Chorizo Sausage
4tbs Panko Breadcrumbs
1/2tsp Smoked Paprika
1tbs Plain Flour
M E T H O D
- Start by taking the sausage meat out of the sausage cases. Do this by squeezing from the top down. It should easily slide of the end.
- Add the meat to a bowl then finely dice the chorizo and add in with the pork. Mix together well.
- Lay out a piece of cling film and take 1/4 of the pork. Spread it out evenly on the cling film and repeat with the remaining pieces. Then cover and place in the fridge.
- Set a pan of water over a high heat and bring to the boil. Once boiling, lower in the eggs carefully and reduce the heat to a simmer for 7 minutes.
- Once the time is up, plunge the eggs into an ice water bowl. Allow to cool completely.
- Set a deep fat fryer or a heavy bottomed pan over a high heat and fill with oil until it is approximately 5cm deep. To test the oils temperature, either use a thermometer or add a couple of breadcrumbs to the pan. If they brown and burn in 4/5 seconds, the oil is too hot so reduce the heat to the pan. It should take around 10 seconds to brown the crumbs.
- Peel the eggs.
- Grab three bowls and in one, add the flour, in the second add the remixing egg and in the third add the panko breadcrumbs and paprika.
- Whisk the egg.
- Now take a peeled egg and lightly dust in the flour, then grab one piece of the pork meat and wrap it around the egg, making sure the egg is totally encased. Now, dip the pork ball into the egg and then cover with the breadcrumbs.
- Carefully using a slotted spoon, lower the scotch egg into the fat. Coo for 8 minutes in a deep fat fryer or in a shallow fry allow to cook for a couple of minutes and turn, until all of the scotch egg outside is lovely and brown.
- Remove and use kitchen roll to remove excess fat.
- Serve with mayonnaise sprinkled with smoked paprika.