Ham and Pea Risotto
This is one of my all time favourites when we have leftover roast ham. Risottos have a bad reputation for people thinking they take forever and they are laborious. I have to admit that it's not done and dusted in ten minutes, but it really is worth it. Creamy, packed with flavour and all cooked in one pot! Its also all done in less than 10 steps!
10 Minutes Preparation Time
30 Minutes Cooking Time
2 Cloves Garlic
250g Arborio Rice
Small Glass of White Wine (Optional)
750ml Vegetable or Chicken Stock
100g Frozen Peas
4 Parsley Sprigs (Chopped)
Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper
- Heat a large heavy duty pan over a low/medium heat
- Dice the onion, chop the carrot and finely chop the garlic. Grate the cheese and chop your ham into chunks
- Once your prep is done, add a splash of olive oil to the pan and throw in the onion and carrot. Cook until softened. Now, add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Pour in your rice and stir. Allow to cook for a minute or so until the edges begin to look translucent. This will help the rice absorb the juices and flavours.
- Once it appears translucent, pour in the wine and allow to evaporate.
- Now, ladle by ladle add the stock into the pan, stirring as you go. Once one ladle has evaporated, add another. Continue this until the stock has gone or the rice is cooked.
- Add the peas and allow to cook for a few minutes.
- Now add the parmesan and ham and stir well.
- Add some fresh herbs and season.
- Serve and ENJOY!