Just a Lasagne (but a super tasty and easy one!)
One of the best family meals, in my opinion is a creamy and rich tasting lasagne. The tangy and dip flavours of the tomato and beef, topped with thin layers of pasta separating from the delicious white cheese sauce.
This is my easy and family friendly lasagne.
500g Mince Beef
1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes
3 Cloves of Garlic (finely chopped)
1 Red Pepper
Splash of Balsamic
1 Beef Stock Cube
3 Sprigs of Oregano
100g Strong Cheddar Cheese
100g '00' Pasta Flour
1 Large Egg
- Firstly, start with the ragu/bolognese sauce. In a large cast iron dish (if you have one) fry off the mince in olive oil until brown, then remove.
- Slice the onion and peppers.
- Then, in the same dish, add a little more oil and fry the onions and peppers. After a couple of minutes, add the garlic.
- Once softened, add the mince back in to the pan and pour over the tinned tomatoes. Using the tin from the tomatoes, add the same amount of water. Then add the beef stock cube.
- I like to add a splash of balsamic, because I love it!
- Add the herbs and allow to simmer away until the liquid has reduced down and you have a lovely thick rich ragu.
- Whilst it bubbles away on the stove, make your flour and sauce.
- For the pasta, add the flour to a clean work surface and create a pasta flour volcano (i know this sounds odd) In the crater, crack the egg. Slowly bring the flour into the egg and mix with your fingers until combined. Then knead lightly into a ball.
- For the white sauce, in a saucepan melt the butter. Once melted, whisk in the flour and allow to cook over a low heat to cook the flour out.
- Now, slowly add the milk and whisk until nice and thick. Once you have used the milk, add the cheese and allow to melt.
- Using a pasta machine, roll out the pasta as thin as you can. You could use a rolling pin.
- Cut the pasta into layers big enough for your baking dish.
- Now, the assembly! Add a layer of ragu, followed by pasta, followed by cheese sauce, followed by more pasta and repeat until you can't fit any more into the dish! Top with a little sprinkling of cheese.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 30 minutes or until bubbling and lovely and brown.