This is a delicious family meal that is enjoyed by everyone. It's not too spicy and fills everyones tummies! We only ate half so I froze the other half for a future freezer meal!
20 Minutes Preparation Time
2 Hours Cooking Time
600g Lamb (Diced)
2 Onions (Chopped)
2tbs Coriander Seeds
2tbs Black Peppercorns
1tbs Cumin Seeds
1/2tsp Cardamom Deeds
1tsp Fennel Seeds
3cm Cinnamon Stick
2tbs Grated Ginger
3tbs Garlic (Chopped)
1/2 Ground Turmeric
1/2 tsp Chilli Powder
3tbsp Tomato Puree
250g Basmati Rice (I used brown but you can use white)
1 pinch of saffron, soaked in 2tbsp hot water
2tbs Full Fat Natural Yogurt
1/4 Cucumber (Grated or chopped)
8 Mint Leaves
- Rinse your rice off three times then put in a pan covered in cold water to soak
- Heat a heavy casserole dish on a high heat, when hot add some oil
- Fry the lamb chunks in batches to get a lovely brown crust on the outside
- Once the lamb is done, remove and set aside. Now add some more oil to the pan.
- Slice the onions and add to the pan Cook for 6 minutes until soft and browning. Remove half of the onions and put in a bowl for later.
- Now add the garlic, ginger, turmeric and chilli powder and cook for 1 minute.
- Place the lamb back into the dish, add the spices and add the tomato puree and cook for another minute. Then top with 200ml hot water.
- Place a lid on the curry and simmer for an hour and a half, or until the lamb is lovely and tender. Then let cool.
- Cook your rice according to the instructions.
- Place your saffron in the 2tbs of boiling water.
- Remove the lamb from the pot using a slotted spoon so the sauce is left behind. Then put the sauce in a bowl to one side.
- Now to layer the Biriyani!
- Add half of the lamb to the base of the casserole dish and top with rice, sprinkle some saffron and then some onions and cover with a little more rice. Repeat this again to use all of the lamb and rice.
- Preheat the oven to 180c/350f.
- Make your raita now by chopping the mint and cutting the cucumber. Then mix them with the yogurt.
- Put the lid on the biriyani and cook for 20 minutes.
- Serve with the raita, pomegranate seeds and a flatbread for mopping up the juice!