Lemon Curd and Meringue Cupcakes
A deliciously fluffy lemon cupcake with an oozy lemon curd centre, topped with smooth vanilla buttercream and a sprinkling of meringue pieces. YES PLEASE!
Makes 12 Cupcakes
10 Minute Preparation
20 Minutes Baking
10 Minutes Decorating
160g Caster Sugar
1 Lemon (Zest)
2 Medium Eggs
160g Self Raising Flour
1tsp Baking Powder
5tbs Lemon Curd
240g Icing Sugar
120g Softened Butter
1/2tsp Vanilla Paste or Essence
Meringue Pieces (Meringue recipe on blog)
- Preheat the oven to 140c/280f.
- Into the mixer, add the butter and caster sugar and beat
- Add one egg at a time and mix
- Pour in the milk.
- In a separate bowl, weigh the flour and the baking powder
- One tablespoon at a time, add the flour mix to the wet mix.
- Add the lemon zest and mix until well combined.
- Spoon into cupcake cases or a cupcake tray and bake for 20 minutes.
- Whilst they bake, make the icing by combining the icing ingredients together and beating or whisking until lovely and smooth. Leave to one side until needed.
- Once the cakes are done, remove from the oven and leave in the tray for 10 minutes to cool slightly. Then remove and add to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Using a knife cut out the centre of the cake. I cut around in a circle approximately 5cm diameter from the centre.
- Now, spoon in a tsp of lemon curd and place the piece of cake you cut, back onto the cake.
- Put your icing into an icing bag and pipe the cupcakes. Then sprinkle with lemon zest and add pieces of meringue.