A roast dinner is not the smallest or easiest meal, especially mid week. However, this little alternative puts the roast craving at bay, at least until the weekend!
Roasted chicken thighs on a bed of roasted carrots and parsnips gives that Sunday roast feel. Served alongside some mash potato and greens, delicious.
10 Minutes Preparation Time
1 Hour Cooking Time
1kg Chicken Thighs
4 Large Carrots
4 Large Parsnips
4 large potatoes
Splash of Milk
Salt and Pepper
250ml Chicken Stock
Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180c/350f
- Chop your root vegetables and place in a roasting tray with olive oil, then put in the oven
- Heat a frying pan on a medium heat
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper
- Add oil to the frying pan, then add the chicken skin side down. Cook for 5 minutes until the skin is lovely and brown
- Cut the cabbage into 4 and then chop the core out. Then slice and place in a pan with cold water
- Peel your potatoes and put into a pan with cold water
- Once the chicken is lovely and brown, flip and cook for another minute
- Once the vegetables have been in the oven for half an hour remove.
- Turn the potato pan on and bring to the boil. Then lower to a simmer to boil the potatoes
- Now, add the chicken to the top of the vegetables, then top with slices of lemon and place back into the oven for a further 30 minutes
- 10 minutes before the chicken is ready, put the vegetables on to boil
- When nearly time to serve and the potatoes are soft, drain the potatoes. Place the pan back on a low heat and melt the butter with the milk and salt and pepper. Then add the potatoes to the melted warm mixture and MASH!
- Drain the cabbage once cooked
- Remove the chicken and veg from the roasting tin and use the juices to make a gravy. (If you can, put your roasting tray over a low heat, if not, transfer the liquid contents into a pan and then put that over the hob) Whisk in a tbs of flour then add the chicken stock until lovely and thick. Season to taste.
- Serve a lovely silky mound of mashed potato, a bed of roasted veg, some fresh cabbage topped with the chicken and then covered in delicious gravy.
- ENJOY your mini roast!