Mushroom and Kale Risotto
I love a risotto. It is something that I had never tried until I was in my twenties. I had never been a fan of the texture of rice pudding so i assumed that I wouldn't like risotto. How wrong was I? Risotto is up there among my favourite meals, and mushroom risotto being my favourite flavour, definitely my favourite vegetarian meal.
This recipe is super easy and packed with flavour.
10 Minutes Preparation Time
30 Minutes Cooking Time
INGREDIENTS 50g Chesnut Mushrooms
50g Shittake Mushrooms
2 Garlic Cloves
250g Risotto Rice
125ml White Wine
750ml Vegetable Stock
Two Handfuls Kale
Olive Oil (I used Truffle Oil for extra flavour)
METHOD - Start with chopping and preparing your vegetables. Dice your onion and chop the chestnut mushrooms into small chunks. Then use half of the shiitake mushrooms and chop into small chunks also.
- Add your cast iron pot to the stove (you can also use a saucepan if you don't have a cast iron pot) over a medium heat. Throw in a splash of olive oil and sauté the onion for a couple of minutes.
- Now, add the mushrooms.
- Next, set a frying pan over a medium heat and add another splash of oil. Throw in the remaining shiitake mushrooms whole and leave to brown for a couple of minutes.
- Back to the large pot, add two cloves of crushed garlic and stir together. Cook for one minute.
- Pour in the risotto rice and cook for a couple of minutes. Stir throughout to make sure that it doesn't stick!
- Once the edges start to become translucent, pour in your wine and cook off until it has evaporated.
- Check your mushrooms in the frying pan and toss.
- Now, in a new pan, add water and bring to the boil. Once boiling, cook the kale for a couple of minutes then remove and set to one side.
- The next step is takes time but is worth it in the end. Add a ladle full of stock at a time and stir the risotto almost continuously. This will develop a creamy delicious risotto. Continue until all of the stock has been used. Taste the rice and check that it has cooked to your liking. I like a little bite to the rice but you can cook for longer if you prefer.
- Once the last ladle of stock has evaporated, add your grated parmesan. Then fold through the cooked kale and serve.
- Top with the pan fried mushrooms and shaved parmesan. ENJOY!