Pizza is a food interpreted and loved all over the world. It is a food that all nations can appreciate. Largely because you can top the lovely dough with almost anything you like. I mean, look at the Hawaiian. Pineapple on a pizza? Still a huge debate between humans whether its wrong or not.
Pizza can be a labour of love. The dough needs to be made and rested and proved and kneaded and in this day and age, most people simply do not have the time to make pizza from scratch. Luckily though, there are companied out there helping us folk out.
You have all probably heard of Jus-Rol. They are the wonderful company that brings us ready made pastries and doughs. Well, whilst shopping for milk this morning, I came across their 'Sourdough Pizza Base'. This intrigued me as I am always reluctant to buy precooked pizzas and takeaway pizzas are not always financially sensible. This was a happy middle ground and also added the DIY toppings element so you can add whatever you like!
This pizza base exceeded my expectations. I don't have a pizza oven lying around at home so I used my home oven on a high heat. That was always going to affect the texture slightly, as it wasn't going to cook in 60 seconds like they do in a traditional pizza oven. However, the pizza was crisp, yet light and there was NO SOGGY BOTTOM. This pizza dough really is a great way to be hands on pizza makers without the need to knead. Also, who doesn't love topping their own pizza and taking ownership. A great activity for the whole family!
5 Minute Preparation Time
10 Minutes Cooking Time
1 Pack of Jus-Rol Pizza Base Dough
1 Tin of Tomatoes
2 Cloves of Garlic (Chopped)
Basil Leaves (Chopped)
1 Ball of Mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 250c/480f and place a baking tray, upside down in the centre of the oven.
- Remove the dough from the fridge to come to room temperature.
- After half an hour, flour your work surface and take the dough out of the packet.
- On baking paper or a baking mat place the dough. You can now push the dough outwards and pick the dough up using the edges to stretch it out.
- Once nice and thin with a nice edge, start to top your pizza.
- We used cooked tomatoes garlic and basil for the base and then mozzarella, hams, caramelised onions, peppers and olives but you can top it with whatever you like!
- Carefully open the oven and place the pizza (on the sheet) onto the baking tray.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the dough is a nice brown colour.
- Remove, slice and ENJOY!