A simple soup that packs great flavour!
5 Minutes Preparation Time
30 Minutes Cooking Time
500ml Beef Stock
1tbs Brown Sugar
10 Sage leaves (Chopped)
- Slice your onions nice and finely.
- In a saucepan, add a splash of oil and add your onions. You want it on a medium/low heat and be careful not to burn the onions, cook for 5 minutes. Stir the onion occasionally.
- Put the heat on low and cook the onions for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. The onions will become lovely and soft and have a little brown colouring. Add the butter now and allow to melt.
- Add salt and pepper to the onions and then the sugar. Stir to coat the onions and caramelise them slightly.
- Add the chopped sage leaves and pour in the stock. Stir and leave to simmer and allow the flavours to develop.
- Whilst the soup simmers, make your toast toppings. Slice the baguette and turn on the grill. Toast the bread on both sides. Then butter the bread.
- Grate the gruyére.
- Pour the soup into a bowl and top with two slices of bread. Then sprinkle on a good amount of the grated cheese. Place under the grill until the soup melts and begins to bubble. YUMMY!