Vegan Peanut Chickpea Brownies
Its January and lots of people are partaking in something called Veganuary. We've probably all over indulged over the Christmas and New Year period and our bodies could do with a break from all the foods were scoffed.
I have always been sceptical of vegan cakes and bakes. I can't see how a healthier cake can be any where near as tasty or how you can use plant based foods to create a sweet treat. However, I wanted to give it a go. I decided it was worth a try.
I settled on trying chickpea brownies as I figured using chickpeas wouldn't give a strong taste.
My verdict of these brownies is that they are pretty surprising. They are soft and fudge like and you would never know that they were made with chickpeas. Even my husband tried them and didn't twig that they were vegan.
15 Minutes Preperation
20 Minutes Cooking
1 can of chickpeas, drained
1/2 peanut butter
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 maple syrup
1 tbs coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 chocolate chips
1/4 peanuts (crushed for top)
- Preheat the oven to 180c/350F
- Pulse the chickpeas in a blender with the maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla until smooth.
- Mix the peanut butter into the mixture
- Add the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into a separate bowl and mix
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until well combined
- Stir in the chocolate chips
- Place mixture into a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes
- Sprinkle with peanuts and some extra peanut butter if you desire