These are a delicious light lunch or a starter if you are making Asian food for guests.
Makes 18 Gyoza
20 Minutes Preparation Time
10 Minutes Cooking Time
140g Plain Flour (plus extra for dusting)
125ml Recently Boiled Water
1/2 Cabbage (shredded)
100g Mushrooms (chopped small)
1 Carrot (grated)
1tsp Grated Ginger
1tbs Sesame Seeds
2tbs Soy Sauce
- First of, start by making your dough. In a bowl, combine the flour with water and mix using a fork.
- Once it comes together, dust your work surface with flour. Now knead the dough until well combined, adding flour so it isn't sticky. This should take around 6/7 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a ball and set aside in a bowl covered with cling film.
- Now, chop and grate your vegetables.
- Add 1tsp oil into a pan and add the cabbage, carrot, mushrooms and ginger. Cook for 5 minutes on a low/medium heat.
- Once it looks cooked, add the soy sauce and sesame seeds ad stir. Now cook until the liquid has evaporated. Leave aside to cool
- Back to the dough. Place on your floured work surface and roll into a long sausage shape. Now cut into 18 individual portions
- Put some water in a small bowl next to the dough, you will need this soon
- Flour the surface well and add one piece of dough. Now roll out into a circle as thin as you can get it.
- Take the dough in your hand and spoon a small amount of the filling into the centre
- Now for the water, wet the tip of a finger and dab it around one half of the edge.
- Then fold the other half over and pinch the edges together, you should end up with a semi circle shape
- Place bottom down on the work surface to make a flat bottom, this will make a good base when frying.
- Heat a frying pan on a medium heat, make sure you have a lid that fits the pan.
- Add 1tsp of oil to the frying pan and then place the gyoza in one at a time to the pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the base is nice and brown.
- Now, add some water to the frying pan and cover with the lid immediately. Steam for 3-4 minutes.
- Serve with some dipping sauce. I love sweet chilli sauce with these!